Sunday 23 November 2014

Button - Dad would be furious over my uncertain future

(McLaren Mercedes)

McLaren's Jenson Button has stated that his father John would be furious over the uncertain future that the 2009 Formula One world champion faces in the sport. Button who finished what may have been his final Formula One race in fifth place. Speaking to the BBC following the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Button said:

'[My dad] would be livid if he knew my circumstances right now.' Sometimes when you do better, it hurts more if you've lost someone close to you,

John Button who passed away in January was a constant present in the pit-lane supporting Jenson and the 2009 world champion who finished the 2014 season ahead of team mate Kevin Magnussen in 8th in the championship on 126 points stated:

'I hope he will be proud but I hope this is not the last time I will be talking to you in F1. I haven't got a clue if I will be racing next year. I hope they will make a decision very soon for Kevin and for my sake.'

Not only did Button finish ahead of team mate Kevin Magnussen in the championship but he also out-qualified the Dane 10-9.

McLaren finished their final season with Mercedes Benz power in 5th place in the Constructors championship having scored 181 points. McLaren will become McLaren-Honda from Tuesday when Stoffel Vandoorne will run the interim MP29H 1X1 to further evaluate the Honda power unit ahead of its 2015 debut.

McLaren Honda have confirmed that they will not announce their 2015 driver line-up until at least Monday December 1.


It is expected that Fernando Alonso who is now a free agent having competed in his final race for Ferrari in Abu Dhabi today will drive for McLaren Honda in 2015.

© Ben Johnston 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment