Wednesday 26 November 2014

Lynn hoping for F1 role following test with the Lotus F1 Team


(Lotus F1 Team)

GP3 champion Alex Lynn made his Formula One debut with the Lotus F1 Team as he got behind the wheel of the E22 sharing the driving duties on the final day of the post season Formula One test at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi with Esteban Ocon. 

This morning Esteban Ocon completed 34 laps in the E22 chassis 3 while this afternoon Alex Lynn completed 52 laps as the Enstone outfit carried out Aero assessments and tyre evaluations with the 2015 development Pirelli tyre. Speaking following the test Esteban Ocon stated:

'The test session went well today. I have had more time to discover the limits of the car as I already knew the E22 having driven it in Free Practice 1 during the Grand Prix weekend. We ran through most of the planned programme, but unfortunately I didn't get to test the 2015 tyres which were planned for late in my session. 

We still achieved good mileage in the morning and I feel my understanding of the car is improving all the time. I received great feedback from the team, which is a great positive for me.'

Alex Lynn won the GP3 championship on Sunday and the test with the Lotus F1 Team was a reward for his win. The Englishman now hopes to find a test and reserve driver role with a Formula One team. Speaking following his successful Formula One debut at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi Lynn stated:

'I am very grateful to Lotus F1 Team for giving me my first opportunity to drive a Formula 1 car and I’m glad I was able to deliver what they wanted from me today. It felt so good to be behind the wheel of the E22 as it reacts so well and does everything you want it to. It was an impressive programme we ran through with many different evaluations. 

The team were really helpful and it was a fantastic day all round. I can’t wait for my next opportunity to drive a Formula 1 car.'

Today's test in Abu Dhabi was also the last time that the Lotus F1 Team ran the Renault power unit as they will make the switch to a supply of Mercedes Hybrid power units next season and the team will now return to their Enstone HQ. Speaking about the two day test session the Lotus F1 Team's Trackside Operations Director Alan Permane stated:

'Another solid day of testing completed with two talented young drivers in the car delivering exactly what we wanted of them. Aside from a small fluid leak today which cut Esteban’s running short, our testing was uninterrupted by any reliability issues so we were able to complete the majority of our evaluations. 

Esteban was quickly up to speed after his experience with the car on Friday whilst Alex was rapidly able to deliver what we wanted from him too, so strong days from both drivers. 

We now head back to Enstone with plenty of data to analyse. After the toughest season I can remember for the team, we now bid goodbye to the E22 and say thank you to Renault Sport F1 for all the years we have enjoyed together. We now look forward to the fresh challenge of 2015.'

© Ben Johnston 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment