Tuesday 29 April 2014

Ferrari duo heading to Imola for Senna memorial

(express.co.uk)

Ferrari have confirmed this morning that both Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso will be in attendance as the Formula One world gets together at the Imola circuit in San Marino to mark the 20th anniversary of the death of triple world champion on Thursday.

Speaking ahead of the memorial, Fernando Alonso commented:

'I think Senna set the standard for all drivers and he was definitely the best of his generation. What made him special was his great will to win and the numbers speak for themselves. He always fought right to the bitter end and that earned him the respect of all his colleagues and it’s what makes him a legend today. I was very little at the time and Spanish TV did not show Formula 1, but I began to know something about him as my father was a fan and my first kart was painted in the same colours as his car.'

Kimi Raikkonen also commented about Senna as the 2007 champion said:

'Senna’s death was an incredibly sad moment for the world of Formula 1,” “I was still at school back then and even if I don’t remember much about him, because I was too young, that day has stayed fixed in my memory. I think he was a great driver and a benchmark for many who came after him.'

The Formula One community will also pay tribute to Roland Ratzenberger who was also tragically killed on the same weekend as Ayrton after a horrendous crash in his Simtek during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix.

©Ben Johnston 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment