Friday 23 January 2015

I let myself get carried away

(© Ben Johnston 2015)

Former Formula One driver Philippe Streiff has apologised to FIA President Jean Todt and President of the FIA Medical Commission Gerard Saillant for comments he made regarding the investigation into Jules Bianchi’s accident at the Japanese Grand Prix.

The apology comes after the FIA President threatened Streiff with legal proceedings after the former Formula One driver stated that the FIA Accident Review Panel set up to investigate Jules Bianchi’s accident during last year’s Japanese Grand Prix had been set up to clear the FIA of any blame in the accident.

However in a statement Strieff has apologised for his comments. The statement read:

‘I let myself get carried away in-front of the camera. The interview took a long time, too long and I am aware that I made insulting and defamatory comments about Jean Todt, Gerard Saillant and the FIA, which I sincerely regret.’

Streiff went on to say:

‘I refute and take back these accusations, which are unfounded, and I ask the press to remove them from the media. Lastly, I ask Jean Todt and Gerard Saillant, who are well aware of my health problems, to excuse me.’
Streiff concluded by saying:

‘I regret having said things about them that are totally out of line with the consideration that they both deserve.’

Mr Todt and Mr Saillant have yet to make any comment with regards to the apology. Jules Bianchi remains in hospital in Nice, France following the accident on October 5 last year.

© Ben Johnston 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment