Friday 30 January 2015

Sauber F1 Team launch the C34

(Sauber F1 Team)

The Sauber F1 Team have become the latest outfit to unveil their 2015 challenger. The Ferrari powered C34 will be driven by Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr.

The Swiss based outfit will be hoping for a much better season in 2015 after failing to score a single point last season and finishing in 10th place in the championship. 


(Sauber F1 Team)

Speaking at the launch of the new car, Sauber F1 Team Principal Monisha Keltenborn stated:

2014 was a very disappointing year. However, this is in the past, and we now focus on what comes next. We have learned our lessons and are confident for the new season. We have to improve, and be able to fight for championship points.” For the Sauber F1 Team 2015 is its 23rd season in Formula One; it is the fourth oldest of the current brands.

Keltenborn went on to talk about the Sauber F1 Team's new driver line-up, saying:

'I am delighted about our two new drivers who bring a breath of fresh air. Both are young, talented and highly motivated. On their way to Formula 1 both stood out through victories in Formula BMW and Formula 3. Both then finished this career progression off in the GP2-Series. While Marcus looks back to one season in Formula 1, Felipe will have his rookie year in which he comes fully prepared due to his role as test and reserve driver at Williams last year. I feel confident with regard to our drivers.'

(Sauber F1 Team)

Former Caterham F1 Team driver Marcus Ericsson joins the team and is looking forward to driving for them. The team will be in Jerez on Sunday for the start of Winter testing. Speaking at the unveiling of the C34, Ericsson stated:

(Sauber F1 Team)

'I ampleased about being a member of the Sauber F1 Team. After a difficult season, we want to move forward and fight in the mid-field like the team previously did. From a driver’s point of view, I want to continue to learn and establish myself as a Formula One driver. I have the feeling of being in the perfect environment to do so. 

In Formula One it is difficult to have precise targets, as it depends on the overall package. It is clear that we want to be fighting for points. In Formula One it is difficult to have precise targets, as it depends on the overall package. It is clear that we want to be fighting for points.'
(Sauber F1 Team)

Ericsson is joined at the Sauber F1 Team by Formula One debutant Felipe Nasr who will make his Grand Prix race debut with the Swiss based outfit. The Brazilian joins the team having previously been the test and reserve driver at the Williams Martini Racing Team. Speaking at the launch of the new car, the Brazilian stated:

(Sauber F1 Team)

'In my rookie season there is a lot to learn, and especially as I have not yet driven on some circuits yet. In general, I am ready to take on this challenge. In my role as test and reserve driver for Williams last year, I was involved in every race weekend. Furthermore, I also had the chance to drive the car a few times, so I think I have a certain understanding of Formula One. Now I am taking the next step in being a race driver, and I am looking forward to bringing my experience from 2014 as well as to supporting the Sauber F1 Team in getting back into the points.'

The Sauber F1 Team have a new test and reserve driver, with Raffaele Marciello joining the team. Marciello won the 2013 Formula 3 championship and speaking about his appointment, Team Principal Monisha Keltenborn stated:

'Raffaele’s previous career is impressive. Therefore it is a logical step for us to give him the opportunity to become more familiar with Formula 1. As a team we are pleased to be there with him on his way to the pinnacle of motorsport.'

The Swiss driver, who will take part in a number of Free Practice sessions during the year stated:

'I am really pleased to be a member of the Sauber F1 Team, which has a long tradition of building up excellent drivers. I really think that this is the best choice for my future career. I am also happy to compete for one more season in the GP2 Series, which, together with my new F1 role, will give me a very busy 2015 season. I want to thank the people at the Ferrari Driver Academy who are responsible for giving me this important opportunity, and now I really can’t wait to start delivering my best.'

© Ben Johnston 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment