Wednesday 28 May 2014

Hamilton told to move on from on Monaco

(Mercedes AMG F1 Team)

Monaco driver steward Derek Warwick has urged Mercedes Lewis Hamilton to move on from what happened at last weekend's Monaco Grand Prix and to concentrate his energy on the next event, the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal next weekend. Warwick was a race steward at the Monaco Grand Prix and was was part of the committee who investigated Nico Rosberg's mistake in qualifying on Saturday however it was decided that Rosberg had no case to answer. Speaking to the Daily Mail, Warwick said:

'I understand that Lewis was upset, Possibly he would have gone faster than Nico on that lap. Arguably the incident cost him the Grand Prix. I don't want to give him advice really - he has won umpteen races and a world championship - but if I were to say anything it would be to man up and concentrate on the next race in Canada.

Warwick, the head of the British Racing Driver's Club went on to say:

'I have been around a long time and seen people try to pull the wool over my eyes. Did I have doubts in my mind? Of course I did. But [Rosberg] gave me the answers I needed. I know there are conspiracy theories but you will not find a more honest driver in grand prix racing than Nico. He said himself that he made a mistake, came in too fast, braked too late and locked up his rear tyres.

When asked about the stewards decision not to take the Rosberg matter further, Warwick said:

'We had all Mercedes's data, including Lewis's data to overlay on Nico's. We had the FIA data. We had onboard shots, overhead shots, circuit shots. We had throttle traces, braking traces, everything we needed to make, hopefully, the right decision. It was not black and white. It took a long time. We wanted to be sure and thorough.'

Hamilton heads to Montreal next weekend, 4 point's behind championship leader and team mate Nico Rosberg. The 2008 world champion has three wins and a third place finish in Canada since his first season in Formula One in 2007 where he took his first ever F1 victory for McLaren.

© Ben Johnston 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment