Monday 8 December 2014

Newey to remain close to Red Bull F1 team

(Florent Gooden DPPI for Renault Sport F1)

Adrian Newey has confirmed that although he is stepping back from his day to day role as Chief designer at Infiniti Red Bull Racing next season he will remain close to the Milton Keynes based outfit.

Newey is expected to be part of Ben Ainslie's America's Cup design team as it was confirmed last week that Ben Ainslie Racing would team up with Red Bull Advanced Technologies as the two parties begin work on an America's Cup project. Speaking to the Associated Press Sport Newey stated:

'I'll still be part of the team, even if I'll be less hands on than I have been, but I'm looking forward to the future, whatever it may bring. I'll be attending half-a-dozen races or so. I want to keep in the loop, so in the mentoring, advisory role, I'm fresh enough that I'm able to keep on top of that.'

It is believed that Newey will also take a more active role in his son's motor racing career. Harrison Newey will drive in the Formula 4 Winter Series.

Newey believes that his decision to step back from the day to activity at Infiniti Red Bull Racing won't have a detrimental impact on the team as they have a very talented technical team at the Milton Keynes based outfit.

The team have a new driver for 2015 as Daniil Kvyat, who won the rookie of year award at Sunday nights Autosport Awards makes the step up from Toro Rosso to replce Sebastian Vettel who joins Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari.

© Ben Johnston 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment