Tuesday 29 July 2014

Hamilton was just doing what he is employed to do...race

(Mercedes AMG F1 Team)

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton has stated that he was just doing the job that he is paid to do and that is race when he ignored a call from the team during the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday to allow team mate Nico Rosberg past.

The 2008 world champion went on to finish the race on the podium in third place after starting the race from the pit-lane. 

Speaking following the race Hamilton said:

'It was not about questioning authority, and I don't think I was being ruthless. I was not even being bloody minded, I was doing my job and got to the top. I am hired to race and bring in points for the team. I am also hired to be me and race my heart out. I did not start at the front of the pack. I started from the pit lane, so in my mind I could not afford to lose anything else. I have already given away too much.'

As a result of his podium finish Hamilton has now closed the gap to Nico Rosberg in the battle for the championship to just e;even points as Formula One heads into the Summer break. Hamilton has had his fair share of bad luck so far this season but has done really well in the last two Grand Prix in Germany and Hungary to come through the field to finish on the podium on both occasions.

Mercedes had a difficult weekend in Hungary which saw both Infiniti Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso finish ahead of both Hamilton and Rosberg. 

Both Hamilton and Rosberg have failed to finish on the podium twice this season. The championship has been extremely close between the Silver Arrows duo.

It is very possible that this years championship will go right down to the wire at the season finale in Abu Dhabi which this season counts for double points as a way of ensuring that the championship isn't decided before the end of the season.

© Ben Johnston 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment