Tuesday 21 October 2014

Sainz Jr dreams of driving for Toro Rosso

(carlossainzjr.com)

New Formula Renault 3.5 litre champion Carlos Sainz Jr believes that he has done everything he can to gain a place on the 2015 Formula One grid with the Toro Rosso team. The 20 year old Spaniard, son of World Rally Champion Carlos Sainz had been considered for a race seat at the Italian team alongside Daniil Kvyat but missed out as Red Bull opted to sign Max Verstappen instead.

The announcement from Sebastian Vettel prior to the Japanese Grand Prix that he will be leaving Infiniti Red Bull Racing at the end of the season have re-ignited Sainz Jr's chances of gaining a Formula One race seat with Toro Rosso next season however as Daniil Kvyat is stepping up to Infiniti Red Bull Racing as Daniel Ricciardo's team mate.

Sainz Jr is not the only driver being considered for the seat however a Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost has confirmed that current driver Jean Eric Vergne is in the running to remain with the team and GP3 driver Alex Lynn. 

Speaking to Crash.net Sainz Jr stated:

'I put everything on the table in terms of numbers and results, now I just have to wait. My dream is to become a Toro Rosso driver. There is no doubt that, after five years in the programme, the first thing I want is to give Red Bull back all they have given me with good results in F1.'

Sainz Jr has stated however that if fails to land the F1 drive with Toro Rosso he would have to look elsewhere for a way into Formula One with regard to his his relationship with Red Bull. He said:

'I would have to find my own way and I would have to do things in a different way. It is not every year you become a World Series by Renault champion so I have to keep that momentum. If it doesn't come, I will have to do it for myself.'

© Ben Johnston 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment