Monday 16 June 2014

Magnussen denies holding McLaren back

Kevin Magnussen on track.
(McLaren Mercedes)

Formula One rookie Kevin Magnussen has denied claims that he is holding back the McLaren Mercedes team when it comes to the development of the MP4-29. The Dane who was promoted from the Woking based outfit's Young Driver Programme to become Jenson Button's team mate following the departure of Sergio Perez who now drives for the Sahara Force India F1 Team.

In his first Formula One race at the Australian Grand Prix in March Magnussen finished the race in 2nd place behind race winner, Mercedes Nico Rosberg. Since that opening success in Albert Park Magnussen has struggled and is currently in 9th place in the Driver's standing's on 23 point's, 20 behind team mate Jenson Button.

Button is the most experienced driver on the Formula One grid with 254 Grand Prix starts to his name having made his Formula One debut for the Williams team in the year 2000. 

Button recently revealed that a team would be better serviced with two experienced driver's rather then one experienced driver and a rookie like with McLaren this season. Button is out of contract with the Woking based outfit this season and has said that he would like to stay at the team beyond this season while Racing Director Eric Boullier has stated that the team want to keep the 2009 champion but have other issues to sort out within the team before they discuss a new contract with Button.

Magnussen feels that he is not holding the team back saying:

'I feel I'm contributing with good feedback and I'm saying what I feel and what I feel is right. I try not to hold back and be shy, I try to open my mouth. As young kid coming into Formula 1 you 'need to be brave enough to do that, whether it's right or wrong I'll let the team figure out.

The Dane, who finished the Canadian Grand Prix last time out in 9th place went on to say:

'The engineers understand I have very limited experience so they tell me what they think is right and wrong, but they listen a lot as well, which I'm proud of.'

©Ben Johnston 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment